Monday, December 19, 2011

Friendship

Since I've moved out to the burbs I've experienced a lot of changes. Some really obvious ones include: new house with room to move, new city, a new baby, a new church, etc. But something very unexpected has happened to me out here. I find myself surrounded by friends.

Friendship is something I've struggled with since I was a child. And I know a lot of people had it so much worse than me. But I was bullied a little bit in elementary school and it left scars I'm just now beginning to realize exist (thanks, therapy). And then in junior high and high school I blossomed and met some really amazing people I still think about often and miss to this day. But in my "adult life", I've really struggled to meet people and feel the same kind of connection I had with my high school buddies.

But here I am, at twenty six years old, and I find myself buoyed up by this amazing network of girlfriends. And I feel so blessed. These women. I can't even describe how good it feels to know someone has your back no matter what. They overlook my flaws and my insecurities and they just love me for who I am. They appreciate the things I am good at and they are generous with their support and encouragement, not to mention the various acts of service I witness on an almost daily basis. It's very humbling at times. They have taught me what it means to be a friend and in turn I have found myself developing a small taste of this love called charity.

I don't know if there is really a single reason for why things happen they way they do but I really believe we moved to this particular house in this particular neighborhood so I could experience these friendships. And I am so much better for having them in my life.

love, ali

No comments: