Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The good man

Marriage. It's a lot of work. It's something every engaged couple has heard and not believed. It's something most everyone who's ever been married will tell you very very first. And many in the same breath will tell you how incredibly worthy the work is.

Like most of the things I consider sacred, I don't share a lot about my marriage on this blog. But I have written so much about my love for my children and maybe that has created the perception that there is just nothing left for my husband. Not so. It's just a whole different kind of love. It's resilient and forgiving. It's the rainbow after the storm and it is so worth it.

If I could give some advice to anyone who is thinking about choosing a man to spend the rest of their life with it would be this: marry a good man. Good to the core. Someone who values commitment. Someone who is kind and forgiving. Someone who is concerned with your happiness on a daily basis and is willing to compromise to make it happen.

That's it. It's not necessarily romantic in a traditional sense. But when the world around you is teeming with people who are taking their partners for granted and tearing apart their families for their own "happiness" because the world says they should, you will be so grateful that you chose the good guy rather than the ambitious guy or the hot guy.

But it doesn't hurt if he's also ambitious and hot.


Just saying.

love, ali

2 comments:

Ally Cox said...

Well said Ali, and I couldn't agree with you more!

Katie said...

I also agree! I'm glad we both married great guys.

PS. I love your hair!