Saturday, September 25, 2010

Two (and a couple of weeks)

Dear Franky,

It seems like just yesterday I was lying awake in an unfamiliar hospital bed with a tiny newborn baby in my arms, my entire perspective on life having been eternally shifted, my capacity to love stretched beyond reason. I became a mother. Two years ago. TWO YEARS.



If I had to choose one word to describe you it would be pleasant. How boring is that? There is not another word to describe it though. You are a joy to be around. You are friendly and playful and funny. You make me laugh every day and that's no exaggeration. You love to play with vehicles of every kind and even have a favorite you call "Trucky." You are obsessed with motorcycles and "bigtrucks!!" (semis) If you ever hear a motorcycle drive by we must drop everything to listen. Every Thursday I strain to hear the garbage truck coming up the street. Then we run outside and watch the garbage get dumped and wave to the garbage man.

You are such an easy going kid. I am very fortunate to be able to leave you with babysitters. You go with the flow. As long as you have some toys to play with or an attentive audience you are loving life. We took you to the doctor yesterday for your two year old well child exam. You were so good for the nurses and the doctor, letting them help you up onto the table while I held your brother. You let them bonk your knees to check your reflexes and didn't even flinch when they stuck that thingy in your ear. One nurse commented that if all two year olds were like you her job would be so much easier.


Watching you learn to speak is an unexpected source of complete joy for me. It is so exciting for me and Dad to hear you say new words, most of them I didn't even teach you. You are always watching us and picking up on things we say. I've had to really start watching what I say around ya, you little smarty pants. No more potty mouth for me. You have also picked up on counting a little bit and I often find you counting up to three.

You love books. We read every night before bed. Your current favorites are The B Book (Barenstein Bears), Bears on Wheels, Goodnight Moon and Goodnight Gorilla. But your favorite is Go Dog Go. I think this is because it combines two of your most favorite things in life: cars and dogs.


You love to run and you LOVE to be chased. Sometimes when I'm cleaning or taking care of Drew you just run laps throughout the house. Sometimes you chase me with plastic bugs ("kuh'kuh bugs") and sometimes real dead ones. A lot of times I chase you around the house and you try and get dad to hide you under a blanket. If you are under foot while I am trying to make dinner I stomp after you until you run around the corner and then go back to cooking for a minute until you come back out and then I chase you away again. We play this game almost daily.


And you love your brother. Have I told you yet that was my biggest fear about bringing baby Drew home? One of my biggest regrets in life was being in the bathroom when you first laid eyes on your brother. But from what I've heard you squealed with delight and asked to hold him immediately. That hasn't changed. You call him "bee bee" or "beeb" and give him kiss and "ugg" (hug) before bed every night. Today you were throwing a ball and it rolled into his leg. It didn't hurt him but you stopped everything and ran over to tell him sorry and kiss his boo boo.

Sometimes you are a stubborn little thing. Before bed you will think of any excuse you can to delay the turning off of the light. You have also started expressing preferences in clothes and will beg me to put you in a "cute shirt."

Mostly being your mom is so much fun. Occasionally I really crave a moment for myself but the vast majority of the time I really enjoy playing with you all day and being the one who meets your needs. Although I know you probably won't remember life at two, my greatest wish for you would be to enable you to look back on your childhood and know that you were loved unconditionally. It's nice that you're so easy going right now and haven't presented me with any really big challenges (potty training is just around the corner). But even when you do, I am going to be here, basking in who you are. Your joys are my joys. You are the sunshine in my life every day.


Love you buddy,

Mama

No comments: