Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Short thought

It should have been a trying week. My babies have been sick. And then I got sick. Sore throats, stuffy noses, achey bodies. I've ingested quite a bit of herbal tea. I'm supposed to run a 10k on Saturday and I haven't logged a single mile this week.

I often feel a burst of calm energy whenever things are suddenly hard. I don't know if it's the first born in me or something I've learned as I've grown. I like being the one who brings comfort, the one who maintains perspective.

So as the restless babies have grown needy and stopped sleeping I have become a deep well of mothering. I've wiped noses and kissed foreheads and rocked late into the night.

That's not to say I haven't complained, or wished at times for a personal assistant. But I feel my capacity expanding.

I'm am a mother of two and I'm not totally failing at it.

love, ali

1 comment:

One Sassy Mama said...

And this my darling girl, is why an old, decrepit woman out-ran you this morn...sleep deprivation! Makes my triumph feel kinda hollow--heehee. PS I'd switch you places in a heartbeat! I miss those crazy--yet fulfilling days!