Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday

It's Monday. It's also laundry day. It's also Walmart day. The wind is howling outside. It never blew this much in the SLC. I guess it's all these wide open spaces. And the Oakers are too far away to block any of the wind. Our fence sways back and forth and the entire house creaks. It makes napping much too difficult.


But I can't nap today anyways. You know that whole "nesting" thing? It's kicking into high gear. I am so close to finishing the baby's blanket. I hope he thinks it's special because Mommy made it just for him, just as I hope Franky thinks his is special because Mommy made it just for him.

Yesterday in church I sat in front of a family with four or five kids. Apparently one of the two sons was getting upset that his mom was scratching the other sons back and not his. She calmly explained that getting back-scratches from mom wasn't a contest and that if she had more arms she would certainly love to scratch his back too.

"But mom's can't always give everyone just what they want right when they want it," she explained. "But it doesn't mean I don't love you, and you'll have a turn soon, okay?"

That was so profound to me for various reasons. She could have easily gotten annoyed at the kid whining about not getting a back scratch but instead turned it into a teaching moment in a calm and loving manner. If I can do one thing as a mother it's got to be making my children feel unconditionally loved, even when I don't have enough arms, even when they are whiney.

I keep thinking I need to takes some pics of myself getting more and more pregnant but I keep putting it off because I don't look good enough that day or I didn't really get ready. Well, the truth is, I don't feel very cute any day so why not just get it over with?

Here is me 35 weeks pregnant. It's hard to believe I've only got about 5 weeks left (and that's if our dates are correct; I wasn't exactly keeping track of anything when this all happened so I could be due next week for all I know).

Off to nest...

love, ali

1 comment:

Katie said...

Ah nesting...I swear I've been nesting for 4 months. I wonder if it will get worse in my last month.