Thursday, May 21, 2009

BBQ Chicken Salad

In light of the glorious weather here in Utah and instant demands for the recipe after I twittered about how fantastic it is, I've decided to post a little something I've been making constantly since the we broke out the grill a couple of weeks ago. The BBQ sauce makes the meal, people. I promise, this is one of those delicious nuggets that will make you grateful for the internet.

Homemade BBQ Salad

1 bag mixed greens
2 cobs of corn, cooked (boiled or grilled) and de-kernelled (is that a word?)
1 can black beans, rinsed
tortillas strips*
salt and pepper
2-3 breasts of BBQ chicken, chopped**
ranch dressing (I prefer the kind you make from a packet, but any kind will do)
homemade BBQ sauce (recipe to follow)

Pour greens into a large salad bowl. Add black beans and corn and salt and pepper to taste. Top with tortillas strips and chopped chicken. Toss with ranch dressing and BBQ sauce just before serving.

*I just take a corn tortilla, fry it till crispy in some oil and chop it up into pieces.

**For the chicken, I marinate it in the BBQ sauce for about an hour and then just throw in on the grill for a few minutes on each side until cooked through.

AMAZING Homemade BBQ Sauce
(credit goes to Nicole for this one)

1 can tomato soup
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp liquid smoke (I always add a little extra of this)

Whisk all ingredients until smooth. For a thicker sauce, simmer until desired consistency is achieved. Also try this over pulled pork for AMAZING pulled pork sandwiches.

ENJOY!

love, aloicious

1 comment:

One Sassy Mama said...

Thanks for the props. The BBQ salad sounds delish.

Can I just say I ♥ liquid smoke? I had never owned a bottle till the trusty old BBQ sauce recipe came to light. Now, I throw it in everything...meatballs, chicken, sloppy joes..heck, the other day I almost threw it in with the fudge I was making..but I stopped myself--hehe.