Monday, February 9, 2009

A letter I should have sent yesterday


Dear Adrianne,

Hindsight really is 20/20. I wish I had told you all of this before the accident. I don't know if you'll ever read this little letter I'm writing to you now. You're probably up in heaven doing something exponentially more important. But I wanted to take a moment and say thank you for your generosity.

When you randomly messaged me on Facebook a couple of weeks ago it took me by surprise. We weren't super close in high school and I probably haven't seen you since graduation. Your first words to me were a sincere compliment. I never message people I don't know know, let alone to give them random, albeit sincere, compliments. I wish there was a less cheesy way to put this but plain and simple: you made me feel special. It was a very simple thing I could never do and it totally made my day. YOU ROCK.

I regret not reciprocating your awesomeness during our last interaction. Sure, I said 'thank you' and asked about your life now, the whole schlemiel. I take some solace in the fact that you sounded genuinely excited about the new changes in your life, especially moving back to Salt Lake. You seemed happy, you oozed enthusiasm for the possibilities for the future.

I just wish I would have told you how cool of a person you had to be to just randomly contact someone like me. I wish I would have told you exactly how great I thought that was, really conveyed that message.

So thank you, Adrianne, for your generosity. For being secure enough and kind enough to throw a few sincere words my way. I won't soon forget them. And I'm going to try to throw a little of that kindness back into the universe and forget my pride for a change.

Until we meet again (for I truly believe we will)...

God speed,

Ali

3 comments:

nicole said...

i talked to her on facebook too. i've never chatted with anyone on facebook and she was the only one to contact me. she had such friendly words. i last talked to her a week or so ago. it still seems so unreal that she is gone.

Ali-Pants said...

I know. I went to the funeral with Derek. She was such an amazing girl!

liz + josh said...

ok, so i'm going to stop being a blog-stalker and finally comment on your post...

this exact same thing happened to me just a few weeks ago! i hadn't talked to adrianne for a few years (she was in my student ward up here in logan like 3 years ago) and out of the blue she started talking to me on facebook about how josh and i were doing, about school, music, etc. it was random, but i thought it was super nice of her. it makes me sad that i wasn't the one to initiate the conversation. it also makes me sad that that is the last memory i have of her. her death has made me think so much about the important things in life.

aside from that, i thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. josh pointed out that you had one a few weeks ago and i find myself just checking in on you every now and then. i laugh outloud more times than not, and i'm also on a weight-loss kick so it's nice to know i'm not the only (however, i'm not getting rid of baby fat, just ice cream fat) anyway, just know you have another blog reader/admirer :)