Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Songin


The kido loves it when I sing to him. Sometimes it's the only thing that keeps him from screaming bloody murder and crapping his diaper. Okay, it doesn't really keep him from crapping in his diaper. But if it did I would bottle it up and market that shiz!

The problem is, I don't know any good baby songs. And for some reason he's not a big fan of Screeching Weasel. I usually just make up songs about whatever I happen to be doing at the moment. I've got one that goes "We gotta put these ickies in the trash!" and I just sing that over and over again. Or sometimes I just sing "Franklmcboy, boy... He's making a pooping noise" sung to the tune of Homer's Animal House song. Another one goes something like "Makin dinner for da papas" and I sing it kind of in rapper style voice with some "wika wika's" throw in every once in a while.

But the worst part about being so sucky at making up random songs is being married to the biggest freak in the universe (aka Packy). Not many people have witnessed the wacky side of the man I love but he's chock full of clever songs and smartass comments. Occasionally he gets so full of it that it spills over into the working world.

Like yesterday. I have been doing some filing for his department a few hours a week. The file room is right by his office so he'll saunter over a few times during the day and say hi. On this particular occasion I had my headphones on and was busy doing my work when I saw him out of the corner of my eye with one leg up in the air, smacking his butt. I ignored it for as long as I could to see how long he would last. I wasn't surprise, for this is how he always is at home. But then one of his co-workers came in and he had to quickly formulate a reason for his freaky dance. I told her this is the real Packy but it usually only comes out at home. She shot me a knowing glance and muttered "lucky you." Yes, lucky me indeed.


What songs did you sing to your kids when they were babies?
What songs did your parents sing to you?
Were they real songs or just made up stuff like mine?

love, aloicious

4 comments:

One Sassy Mama said...

Frankles is such a cutiepie! I am so in love with his smile.

When my kids were babes--I played "Wee Sing" tapes all the time. I also sang lots and lots of primary songs. My favorite thing to play (and sing along with) was Janine Brady's "Brite Music". She has such cute animal songs.

katie_kitty said...

I usually make up words to songs I know when I sing to my nieces and nephew. My favorite is to sing when I'm giving them a bath. "Splish splash, Xander's taking a bath," are the only words I know so I throw some "la la's" in there and "doo doo doo's" as well.

I support you in your making-up-songs mothering technique. I'm sure I will do it too when I have kids. :)

Ali-Pants said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ali-Pants said...

I'll have to check out Wee Songs.

And I can't wait to sing splish splash to FB! I will be sure to pull that out at the next bath. I'm sure it will be a hit.