Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Oh the enchantment...


If I had to describe how motherhood feels in one word I would use enchanting. Not because it's so easy and fun all of the time but my love for this child is more like a physical reaction then a decision. The smell of his bald little head and the way his lips become all relaxed and pouty when he's napping releases an enormous amount of endorfines into my system. And I feel a little bit tipsy, but without the hangover or poor judgment calls.

I'm SO happy I made the decision to quit my job once Franklberries was born. Sometimes I miss working but I know that if I were working I'd miss being home a LOT more. I'm so thankful that's it's even financially possible for me to not work.

I love being a homemaker. I think I'm also very lucky in that regard. I enjoy grocery shopping and planning meals. I like trying new things in the kitchen and decorating the house for holidays. I even enjoy cleaning and doing the dishes and sometimes laundry. I believe every child deserves to have their own mommy or daddy as their primary care giver. But what happens when the mother doesn't enjoy mothering? Or at very least homemaking? Does she stay home with the kids and resent every bit of it? Or does she go back to work so that when she is home she is at least happy?

It's hard to guess what I'd do if I didn't feel happy where I am now. But thankfully I don't have to make a choice between two imperfect solutions.

love, aloicious

4 comments:

Casey said...

Woah, you ENJOY cleaning? If so, have I got the house for you..

I quit my job when my second was born and I love being home with them too. There are days when I really miss the adult interaction I had at work but that's where the blog comes in. Glad you get to stay home too!

goodfather said...

I love the word 'enchanting'. I am so happy for you, sigh. It sounds like things are going well.

One Sassy Mama said...

He is awful precious...

Derek said...

I've always considered you to be a lover, but that means something entirely different now. Your blog is especially fun to read now that you're a mother, because your love is so undeniably obvious now. You're a great mom, and I can say that even though I haven't even seen you in action. It's clear through the way you write.