Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy holidays, whatever they may be


This was Franklberries' first Halloween! Like always, I left his costume till the last minute. I came up with an awesome idea for Packy and I to be football players and FB could be the football. But we didn't really have a good football costume for him. So we threw on his glow-in-the-dark skeleton onesie and called it good.

We hit up the trunk-or-treat at the local church and handed out some loot.

Then it was off to Nicole's for a night of totally eating all her kids' candy quality family togetherness.

Their neighborhood was crawling with trick or treaters and we took turns answering the door. On my first go I pulled open the door and beheld a 30 year old woman dressed like a witch holding out her treat bag for me to fill. My brain began working to figure out why this grown woman was trick or treating by herself. Was she doing the trick or treating for her sick child? Did she just want free candy? Did she have no dignity??

It wasn't until she said "Trick or treat!" in the unmistakable tone of someone with down syndrome that the wheels in my head began to turn. AHA! Of course! This was the answer I'd been looking for. And my brain began to relax, it was tired after all from solving the mystery of the 30 year old trick or treater. And as I began to close the door I happily shouted after her:

"Happy... Christmas!"


Yes, Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night.

3 comments:

Casey said...

Glad you had a fun Halloween! We have a nineteen year old autistic boy in our neighborhood and every year I do a double take when I open the door because he's over 6' and I look down when I open the door expecting a little kid. He always pulls off a great costume, this year he was a sheriff and really looked the part!

Ali-Pants said...

Awww! How fun!

Derek said...

Would it be inappropriate and rude to pretend to be disabled so that I could still get free candy?