Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A perspective on life

I just got back from visiting my friends Anne and Jon. Their baby girl, Grace, was born last Thursday by emergency C-section. She wasn't due until October 22nd and just got out of the hospital after 10 days in the NICU. She's off of the oxygen and gaining weight. Oh yeah, and she's GORGEOUS. She makes me want a little girl with a thick head of dark hair so I can wrap her up in something soft and pink.

Anyways, when I found out they were still in the hospital last week I was shocked. I'd seen them just that weekend and while their baby was in the NICU the doctors had told them she would probably be going home after just a couple of days - not the ten she ended up staying. I couldn't imagine how much my heart would ache if that had happened to FB. But it was more than just that. There was a set of twins in the NICU with baby Grace that had been there for over a month. The mom of these little babies asked my friends when they were going home and they reluctantly told her within a few days and felt a little guilty since her babies were going to be there for much longer.

There are lots of times in my life when I've gotten SO deep down depressed about myself and my circumstance that I just wanted to crawl under the covers and sleep for days (and there have been times I've done just that). But all emo-ness aside, I've got it so good. Of course I've had rough times but most of those were self-inflicted. And really I haven't experienced what I would call major tragedy.

So the point of all of this is that there's always someone who's go it worse than you. Count your blessings, or remember your good fortune, or thank your "happy fairies" or whatever it is that you do. Because we really do have it good.

love, ali

2 comments:

Kurt And Jeana said...

hey ali im trying to get ahold of zach for a bout 2 years now and finally found you guys. i used to jam with him and we lived together for awhile. can you pass along my email to him? kurt.waldron@gmail.com. i need to talk to him. thank you! kurt

Ali-Pants said...

Hey Kurt! I just gave him your email. Of all the songs he's written the ones he wrote with you are the best. You guys were really good together (in a non-homosexual kind of way).