Sunday, October 19, 2008

Grandma's Pancakes


When I was little my grandparents lived in St. George, Utah. During that time the majority of the residents were retirees like my grandparents. There was lots of golf and shopping and swimming to be had. Some of my earliest memories are going to visit them. Me and my sister would rush in and give them a hug. Then it was off to the Barbie drawer - a huge bottom drawer in the hallway where they kept tons of Barbies and Barbie paraphernalia for us to play with.

Another thing I loved about visiting Grandma and Grandpa in St. George was that they had cable! I watched my first episode of Gummy Bears and my first episode of Johnny Quest at the bar in the kitchen.

But this post is not about the superficial childhood memories I have of Grandma and Grandpa's house.

My Grandma passed away a couple of years ago from Alzheimers. If you've never known someone who has been ravaged by this horrible disease, consider yourself and your loved ones lucky. I have very few memories of my Grandma before this monster illness ravaged her mind. But I do have a vivid memory of having breakfast with my grandma. I would sit at the bar and watch cartoons on the tiny kitchen TV. She would still be in her robe and thick glasses, reading the paper. And she would always have whole wheat pancakes with peaches.

So here's the recipe, my friends. I actually never really tried these until a couple of weeks ago, healthy breakfasts never appealed to me as a child. But I am now hooked. I'll always eat them and think of her and the gentle kindness she brought to our family.

********************************************
Grandma’s Whole Wheat Pancakes with Peaches

3 C + 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
½ C sugar
2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
2 C milk
1 can sliced peaches

Pour all ingredients (except the peaches) into a bowl and beat until smooth. Cook on medium heat until browned on both sides. They are thick so make sure they're cooked in the center. Then drain the peaches really well. Puree until slightly chunky. Serve with pancakes. Makes about 12-13 large pancakes. YUM!

3 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oh, wow, whole wheat pancakes! Love whole wheat pancakes, and I use the quick mix variety. I'm sure this would be MUCH better! Thanks for the recipe. This will be tried in my home!

Casey said...

Those sound great! Thanks for sharing the story about your Grandma. Mine was an instrumental part of my childhood and I miss her every day. I still have all of her hand written recipes (which I refuse to share with my cousins).

Ali-Pants said...

SK - they are pretty good. I hope you guys enjoy!

Casey - I miss my grandma too! I wish I had some of her hand-written recipes... maybe my mom secretly has some and is hoarding them? I will investigate. Because that would be just precious.