Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Club 1/2 As Small As You

Yesterday was my 6-week post partum checkup with Dr. Terry, my OB. I don't own a scale. Not on purpose, just by accident. So my visit to Dr. Terry's office was the first time I've seen my weight since FB was born.

Now I must preface the following admission with the fact that when I went into labor and delivery 6 weeks ago I was up 60 lbs from my starting weight when I got pregnant. I kid you not.

So before I got on the scale I guessed I'd have about 10-15 lbs left to loose because I'm no longer a house. But I got a little surprise when the scale said I was still up 25 lbs.

Good gosh!! (as my new SIL JoAnna would say) I was not expecting that at all.

So I've decided to join all the peeps over at Club Half As Small As You for some moral support and chronicle my journey from fat to fabulous here at the Aloicious blog.


1. What motivates you and why do you want to do this challenge?

I want to do this challenge so I can have another baby. While I am in NO hurry to get pregnant again, I know I must loose this weight before the next one comes for several reasons. Firstly, I know I am young so working it off now as opposed to 10 years from now is going to be much eaiser. Secondly, I'm just going to keep gaining a mizillion pounds every time I get pregnant so I'd rather start with 25 to loose then 75. Thirdly, I've seen what happens to those moms who never worked off the baby weight and I promised myself I'd never let myself become one of those moms.

I will be motivated by my desire to set a good example to my kids in the hope that they never have to battle the bulge. I will be motivated by the cute clothes sitting in a tote in my basement labeled "Ali's skinny clothes." And maybe, just maybe if I get confident enough to wear a bikini next summer my hubby will take me on a cruise... PLEASE???


2. What is your long term goal?

My long-term goal is to fit into all my "skinny" clothes. I also want to run a 1/2 marathon this summer which I will talk about in a later post...


3. What is your long term weight loss goal?

To weigh 25 lbs less than I weigh now.


4. What tools are available to you?

I've got a rack of weights and a treadmill in my basement. I've got a great pilates routine which helped me get to my skinniest point a few summers ago. I've got a more-than-willing dog to run with me at nights or early mornings and a supportive husband.


5. How often can you exercise?

I can exercise 6 days a week but I'm only going to plan on working out 5 days. Something is bound to come up at least once a week so 5 days a week is my goal.


6. What do you plan on doing?

The only thing I'm not going to do is diet. I feel like I eat really healthy right now especially since I'm not getting free soda at work anymore. I just need to workout. This could include running, walking long distances, lifting weights, doing my pilates DVD I've yet to open, etc.


7. What has worked for you in the past?

The only time I've really thought I had a rockin bod was the summer before I started nail school. I didn't have a six-pack but I had definition in my stomach and was wearing a size 8. At that point I was going to a pilates class at the gym with an instructor who totally kicked my butt twice a week. And working SO hard in class helped me stay motivated to eat less and eat better. I don't have a gym membership anymore but with the help of my hubby and the lack of a full-time desk job I think I can do it.

Stay tuned for my updates...


love, aloicious

3 comments:

Casey said...

Getting into shape for future pregnancies is a great motivator! I didn't get into shape between kids (my first was 6 months old when I get preggo again) and I gained A LOT the second time around. Hence, the club. I think your husband should definitely take you on that cruise when you reach your goal weight (hear me, Mr Ali?). Great post and welcome to the club!!!

mrsbear said...

You sound motivated. I gained about 50 lbs my first pregnancy, then lost all but 10 lbs. But with every subsequent pregnancy I always had a lingering 5 - 10 lbs. I have four kids. I think it does get harder the older you get, good luck!

Kristy said...

Welcome to the club! Good luck with your marathon next summer...that's awesome...I have always wanted to do that, but I just never have!