Friday, October 10, 2008

Beggars

One of the bloggers I frequent regularly (Dooce) posed this question on her blog the other day:

"let's say you're given the opportunity to donate some money to a desperate family who would use it to feed their children, but were only able to do so if you donated the same amount of money to someone you knew would use it to buy crack. Would you do it?"

I'll admit, one of the things I really disliked about Salt Lake when I first moved here was getting hit up for money every time I walked down the street. Not in our neighborhood or anything. But walking down the streets of the city, stopping everyone they would pass or even sitting outside the bank, someone is looking for a handout. I can't even go to the downtown Wal Mart without someone asking for "a few bucks for gas."

It used to really bother me. And my poor, sappy husband, he fell for it every time. Or so I thought. EVERY time one of these guys (or girls) asked him if he could "spare some change for a bus fare" or "give a guy a buck so he can get something to eat" without hesitation, he reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet.

When I finally asked him why, he explained to me that he'd rather give and be taken advantage of then ever turn away someone who was in need. It's impossible to tell what the intentions of these beggars are. But my sweet hubby takes the council of Christ literally when he said "if you've done it unto the least of these my brethren you've done it unto me."

That's one thing I love about him. He simply lives his faith. Not perfectly but in the best way he knows how. I think that's all you can really ask for.

Love, ali

2 comments:

goodfather said...

Hi Ali - thanks for stopping by my blog!!

I LOL'd when I saw the picture of Franklberries on your sidebar, wow! He is too cute. I was more of a Count Chocula kid, hee hee.

Yeah, panhandling is a hard one. If I have have time, I try to address the problem that the person asking for money is having (or says he is having). There's a guy that stands on an on-ramp to the freeway where I live with a sign that says, 'I'll be honest - I just need a beer.' Heh.

Ali-Pants said...

Yeah, it goes against all my instincts to give these guys money most of the time.

There was a guy standing beside the offramp by my house with a sign that said "I'll bet you $1 you read this sign." I gave him one. HA HA!