Tuesday, August 5, 2008

new hobby?

I am officially the proud owner of this...


I'm not sure if it's the EXACT one in the picture, but a guy was selling a Singer sewing machine on KSL for $50 (it also came with a slightly used food processor which I've also desperately wanted AND a free coffee pot - does anyone need one?). It was only used for a few months after his wife abandoned her newly found sewing hobby (eep).

The only problem is that I don't know how to use it. My main reason for wanting to learn to sew is so I can make a cover for my boppy (okay, so I haven't actually gotten the boppy yet, but I cheated a looked at my registry and SOMEONE has gotten it for me). I think it would be really cute to make a homemade slipcover for it and I actually found a pattern online. I don't know how hard it is but It came with instructions. I guess I just doesn't speak "sew."

Anyone know how to sew? We could use the barter system! I do acrylic nails or manicures and cook delicious dinners. C'mon sewers! You know you want to be the first to initiate me into your cult!

Love, ali

2 comments:

One Sassy Mama said...

Yay Ali! You have entered the sewing world (now YOU can make Zach's crazy Halloween costumes--hehe).

You know I am not a great sewer--although I am quite proficient at Halloween costumes (because they don't need to be washed so my seams won't come all undone).

My advice to you is to start with something simple--don't go big the first time. The boppy cover might be a good one to start with depending on the difficulty level.

I remember my very first sewing project was a panda costume for Halloween--Jordyn was 3). IT NEARLY DID ME IN. First of all--fur is super hard to sew on (for a first timer). AND the pattern was way difficult to understand/read. I ended up calling Aunt Virginia and had her tutor me--that helped tons. So when you start it up--give me a call and i'll see if I can help you. ALSO--Grandma Sumsion is a pretty good sewer.

Ali-Pants said...

Thanks Nic! I think the pattern is pretty easy but the instructions are a little confusing. I'm a pretty visual person so pictures would be nice. I just need someone to translate. I'm sure I'll be calling you soon. =)