Monday, December 17, 2007

She's got the hair for it...


Last week Danielle got her mission call: Houston, TX - Spanish speaking. Holding that packet in my hands made it so real to me. Although she doesn't leave until March 5th I still felt a twinge of sadness when the excitement died down at her house that night. I will miss her. She's been my best friend since 2nd grade. We've been through so much together.


I remember the weekend before we moved to Draper, spending all of our time sobbing in her bedroom and talking about all of the whacky times we'd shared that only teenage girls ever share. I felt so distraught that I wouldn't be able to walk down 6 houses and be on her doorstep when I needed her.


I remember my wedding day and how she was the first face I found when we came out of the temple. I remember her "toast" at our wedding lunch, not so much the words but rather the feeling that somehow I was about to step out of my childhood. And she had been such an enormous part of that.


I have a vivid memory of the day of her dad's funeral. I rode with her in the hearse to the gravesite. She was wearing a skirt and heels and a big, heavy coat but she was shivering like crazy. That day is so surreal to me. It was almost like watching a movie of your life, not actually living it. She was so broken and yet so strong.


I've never had someone this close to me leave on a mission. Of course there was the missionary I sent out after high school whom I eventually dear-johned but that was different. When Jared left I felt a sense of desperation, the likes of which I haven't felt since. I knew when he left that we would never regain what we were about to lose.


The thought of Danielle leaving brings about a different feeling of sadness. Like there's a prayer in my heart that the Lord won't let her change into someone I no longer know. But I just have to believe that she'll be better for this and that we'll always have the connection that only sisters have.

I love you Danielle!

No comments: